Roll up Curzon Ashton, Histon and Blyth Spartans, giant killers all in the Cup First Round

Last updated : 09 November 2008 By Shrimpers24

F.A. Cup First Round Results:

Accrington Stanley 0-0 Tranmere
Bournemouth 1-0 Bristol Rovers
Aldershot 1-1 Rotherham
Alfreton Town 4-2 Bury Town
Barnet 1-1 Rochdale
Blyth Spartans 3-1 Shrewsbury
Brighton 3-3 Hartlepool
Bury 0-1 Gillingham
Carlisle 1-1 Grays Athletic
Cheltenham 2-2 Oldham
Chester 0-3 Millwall
Chesterfield 3-1 Mansfield
Colchester 0-1 Leyton Orient
Crewe 1-0 Ebbsfleet United
Curzon Ashton 3-2 Exeter
Darlington 0-0 Droylsden
Eastbourne Borough 0-0 Barrow
Eastwood Town 2-1 Brackley
Leeds 1 Northampton 1 (played Friday November 7)
Harlow 0-2 Macclesfield
Hereford 0-0 Dag & Red
Histon 1-0 Swindon
Huddersfield 3-4 Port Vale
Kettering 1-1 Lincoln City
Kidderminster 1-0 Cambridge Utd
Leicester 3-0 Stevenage
Leiston 0-0 Fleetwood Town
Luton 0-0 Altrincham
MK Dons 1-2 Bradford
Morecambe 2-1 Grimsby
Oxford Utd 0-0 Dorchester
Sutton Utd 0-1 Notts County
Telford 2-2 Southend
Torquay 2-0 Evesham
Walsall 1-3 Scunthorpe
Yeovil 1-1 Stockport

Playing Sunday November 9;

AFC Hornchurch 0 Peterborough 1
Havant and W 1 Brentford 3 (Well done, Charlie Mac, a goal and an assist.)
Team Bath 0 Forest Green 1 

Playing Monday November 10; AFC Wimbledon v Wycombe, 19.45.

Curzon Ashton, they of the Northern Premier League Division One North, were arguably the biggest surprise by dispatching League Two high-flyers Exeter 3-2 in the team's debut appearance in the FA Cup first round. Goals from Chris Worsley, James Ogoo and Michael Norton gave the home team enough of a cushion to see off a late rally from The Grecians' scorers Steve Basham and Dean Moxey. Matthew Gill was sent off late on for Steve Tisdale's men.

Daniel Wright grabbed the only goal as Histon ran Curzon close as the shock of the day to dump Swindon out of the FA Cup first round. The in-form striker was a constant threat to the League One side's defence and grabbed the only goal when he smashed in Lanre Oyebanjo's corner. It could have been better for the non league side, but a Wright header was ruled out having initially been given. Swindon went closest to an equaliser when Barry Corr forced a superb save from Danny Naisbitt late in the piece.

Blyth Spartans of the Conference North defeated another of League Two's promotion hopefuls, Shrewsbury, by 3-1. Two first-half goals from Shaun Reay at Croft Park and a third goal early in the second half confirmed victory for Blyth, with Grant Holt's subsequent reply of little consequence.

Alfreton Town booked a place in the second round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history after a 4-2 win over Bury Town. Veteran striker Leo Fortune-West was among the scorers for the home side. Eastwood Town are also in unfamiliar territory after a 2-1 win over Brackley Town, with Lindon Meikle grabbing the second-half winner.

Millwall and Chesterfield were the first teams to book their place in the second round of the FA Cup on Saturday after comprehensives wins over Chester and Mansfield respectively.

The Lions of League One left it late to dispatch Chester but in the end ran out 3-0 winners at the Saunders-Honda Stadium. It was not until the 76th minute when Lewis Grabban opened the scoring for the visitors but Neil Harris immediately doubled the lead and substitute Ashley Grimes completed the late show in the final minute.

Chesterfield also netted a treble, defeating Mansfield 3-1 at Saltergate. Jamie Winter gave Chesterfield the lead in the 32nd minute and two goals in seven minutes early in the second half from first Jamie Ward and then Winter made it a comfortable final half hour for the home side who were flustered momentarily when Nathan Arnold pulled a goal back for the visitors 12 minutes from time.

One of the games of the day came at Huddersfield, where League Two Port Vale had the better of a seven-goal thriller against a side one league above them. Having taken the lead through Louis Dodds, Vale found themselves 3-2 behind with just over ten minutes remaining. However, David Howland, Dodds and Marc Richards - in injury time - completed a remarkable turnaround.

Blue Square North outfit AFC Telford were only denied a stunning upset by a Jean Francois Christophe injury-time strike that spared League One Southend's blushes. The Shrimpers went ahead through Francis Laurent and would have doubled their lead had Ryan Young not saved Peter Clarke's penalty. Jon Adams' double looked to have given Telford a surprise win, but Christophe ensured the tie goes to a replay. (Read a full report with player ratings here:

Milton Keynes Dons of League One will not be matching the achievements of Wimbledon of yesteryear - winners in 1988 - after falling to a 2-1 defeat at home to Bradford. Jemal Johnson looked to have forced a replay after Omar Daley put The Bantams in front after just two minutes, but Graeme Lee gave the former Premier League side the win with eight minutes remaining.

Leicester however did stick to the form book to run out comfortable 3-0 winners at home to Stevenage thanks to goals from Llyod Dyer, Matt Fryatt and Andy King.

Scunthorpe had the better of their all League One tie with Walsall, emerging as 3-1 victors thanks to a Gary Hooper brace and Kevan Hurst's goal.

Blue Square Premier side Kettering must have thought they had been league opponents in the form of Lincoln City when Exodus Geohaghon gave them the lead with just five minutes remaining. However, their superiority lasted barely 60 seconds before Dany N'Guessan assured a replay.

Oxford will also be forced to play again for the chance to reach the second round after being held to a 0-0 draw by Dorchester Town of Conference South at The Kassam Stadium.

Northampton earned an FA Cup replay after holding Leeds on Friday evening, despite winnehaving Giles Coke sent off after only 26 minutes of the first-round tie. Scott McGleish put the visitors ahead with a far-post tap-in but 17 minutes later Coke was dismissed after receiving his second yellow card. Andy Robinson equalised with a penalty after Mark Hughes was fouled. Robinson and Robert Snodgrass hit the woodwork as Leeds dominated but they could not score a winner.