Foxes eat Posh, Dons dismiss Leeds, Railwaymen hold Lions

Last updated : 21 December 2008 By Shrimpers24

Leicester City 4 Peterborough United 0

Leicester continued their surge towards the League One championship as a fifth straight league win dented Peterborough's play-off aspirations.

Nigel Pearson's men got off to an ideal start when defender Craig Morgan put through his own net from 12 yards before Matt Fryatt grabbed his eighth goal in five games seven minutes before the break.

Peterborough, trying to maintain their 15 match unbeaten league record, battled hard after the break but were undone when Andy King added a third 20 minutes from time, his second goal in successive games.

And the victory was given some added spice when Steve Howard added his name to the scoresheet in the final minute.

MK Dons 3 Leeds United 1

The delivery of Jemal Johnson proved to be the difference as the MK Dons continued their promotion push condemning Leeds to their fourth straight league defeat.

Two corners from Johnson in the opening 15 minutes put Roberto Di Matteo's men on their way, with Sean O'Hanlon profiting from the first inside ten minutes and then Aaron Wilbraham six minutes later.

Robert Snodgrass scored for the second game in succession, four minutes into the second half, to reduce Leeds' arrears.

However, it proved to be in vain, as Wilbraham grabbed his second of the afternoon, heading in another cross from the impressive Johnson on 55 minutes.

Colchester United 0 Scunthorpe United 0

Scunthorpe remain in the play-off mix despite producing a fairly uninspiring performance to claim a dull goalless draw at Colchester.

Gary Hooper and Grant McCann both returned to the Scunthorpe side following injuries but they struggled to create any chances of note for the visitors.

While one of the only bright sparks for the home side was the return of striker Steven Gillespie, following two months on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

He had a chance to win the game for Colchester late on, but fired wide.

Millwall 0 Crewe Alexandra 0

Millwall wasted the chance to continue to mount pressure on Leicester at the top as they failed to find a way past bottom of the table Crewe.

Many teams have found it tricky to breach a resolute Crewe defence of late, having only conceded one goal in their last three games.

And the likes of Tresor Kandol, Gary Alexander and Neil Harris were unable to build on a spate of recent goals to earn the home side the three points.

Stockport County 3 Bristol Rovers 1

A hat-trick from Craig Davies, including goals in added time in both halves, maintained Stockport's push towards the play-offs.

Stockport started the game the brightest and deservedly went ahead when Davies pounced from close range following good work by Tommy Rowe.

Craig Disley's long-range strike hauled Rovers level against the run of play five minutes before half time, only for Davies to head in Anthony Pilkinson's cross in stoppage-time to restore the home side's lead.

And the frontman added his third late on, finding the top corner from inside the penalty area.

Oldham Athletic 1 Leyton Orient 1

Jason Demetriou went from villain to hero in the space of 60 seconds to earn Leyton Orient a precious point at high-flying Oldham.

Orient, despite being just above the drop zone, started the game the brightest but were undone when Tamika Mkandawire unfairly challenged Darren Byfield in the box and Andy Liddell slotted home the resulting penalty.

The visitors wasted the chance to equalise with a penalty of their own, when Demetriou saw his penalty saved by Greg Fleming, after the goalkeeper had brought down the just on Ryan Jarvis.

But within seconds of the miss, Demetriou atoned for his error, rifling into the top corner from John Melligan's assist.

Tranmere Rovers 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

Anthony Kay scored with virtually the last kick of the game to help Tranmere's bid for promotion at the expense of Brighton.

Tranmere had dominated the game for long spells but it appeared as if the visitors, who lie in the relegation places, were going to hang on for a precious point.

However, Kay had other ideas, finding the back of the net two minutes into time added on after smart work from Chris Shuker.

Huddersfield Town 2 Hereford United 0

Two goals in the last 20 minutes from Nathan Clarke and Gary Roberts kept Huddersfield firmly in the play-off picture as Hereford continue to struggle at the foot of the table.

Huddersfield had been the better side throughout but had failed to take their opportunities until Clarke found the net from close range following Danny Cadamarteri's strong work with 20 minutes remaining.

And with Hereford committing more players forward in search of an equaliser, the home side doubled their advantage as Keigan Parker set up Roberts, who found the bottom corner from inside the box.

Hartlepool United 3 Southend United 0 (played on Friday December 19)

Full report and player markings here:

Northampton Town 1 Carlisle United 0

A towering header from Jason Crowe gave Northampton some extra breathing space from the relegation places as his goal was enough to see off Carlisle.

After a fairly even opening period it was Northampton who took the lead just past the hour when Crowe climbed highest to nod in Danny Jackman's free kick from deep in the penalty box.

Carlisle rallied for an equaliser but failed to have any real chances of note, the best of those that did come fell to Danny Livesey but he could only head wide.

At the other end, Leon Constantine wasted the chance to make the points safe, when his effort from just inside the box cannoned back of the post. (Well that gives us hope on Boxing Day!)

Swindon Town 2 Yeovil Town 3

Yeovil gained a much needed three points in their bid to avoid relegation, after almost throwing away a two goal lead at Swindon.

Craig Alcock got Yeovil off to a great start when he scored from Danny Schofield's corner and the visitor's had more cause for celebration when Schofield set up Lee Peltier to double the lead.

Despite their poor performance, Swindon were thrown a lifeline through Michael Timlin's free kick in first half stoppage time and the scores were level when Jon-Paul McGovern equalised within a minute of the second half.

However, Yeovil were not to be denied and regained their lead when Jerel Ifil could only head into his own net inside the last 20 minutes.

Cheltenham Town 0 Walsall 0

Cheltenham will feel that it is two points dropped in their quest to move out of the relegation zone as their toothless attack failed to punish Walsall.

The home side had won their previous two league games to significantly close the gap between themselves and the pack above, but they failed to find a way past Clayton Ince in the Walsall goal.

Despite registering 20 shots, ten of which found the target, Ince stood firm, denying Barry Hayles and Elvis Hammond en route to a deserved clean sheet, ending a run of two straight defeats.

Coca-Cola Football League One

Latest match Saturday,
20th December 2008
1Leicester City 2182120663120111452401747+23
2Milton Keynes Dons 21704201171224111416442243+22
3Millwall 2182116952316151344322443+8
4Scunthorpe United 21532211562318131155392838+11
5Stockport County 2144315126311881074332037+13
6Oldham Athletic 21641241143314151074382637+12
7Peterborough United 21631231144315161074382737+11
8Tranmere Rovers 2171320123259141038292633+3
9Leeds United 21613221341613161029352932+6
10Huddersfield Town 2143416165231415957303132-1
11Hartlepool United 215422517316814858333129+2
12Northampton Town 2154216102351519777312928+2
13Walsall 2150518183441314849313228-1
14Southend United 2152313102451525768283527-7
15Bristol Rovers 2152322141551722678393625+3
16Colchester United 21236101351422227410323525-3
17Leyton Orient 21235814344912579172622-9
18Yeovil Town 212531214326817579203122-11
19Carlisle United 2151419151287216312263621-10
20Swindon Town 2133518211541418489323920-7
21Brighton & Hove Albion 2124414172451015489243220-8
22Cheltenham Town 2143413151189275412224219-20
23Hereford United 213341091194234413143216-18
24Crewe Alexandra 2132513180299253414224313-21