Foxes and Lions mix at the top, Bulls stampede Farmers

Last updated : 07 December 2008 By Shrimpers24

Leicester City 3 Southend United 0

Matt Fryatt scored his second consecutive hat-trick to keep Leicester top of League One.

The on-form striker gave Leicester the perfect start after just six minutes, finding the net with a low shot.

The leaders did not have it all their own way, but Fryatt put the game beyond Southend with 15 minutes remaining, firing home from the edge of the area.

And Fryatt completed his hat-trick three minutes later from the penalty spot to take his tally for the season to 22.

For a full report and player markings go here:

Millwall 3 Bristol Rovers 2

Tresor Kandol scored a quick-fire double to set Millwall on their way to a win which lifts them up to second.

The on-loan striker put Millwall in front within three minutes firing home after a scramble in the box, and doubled the lead on 18 minutes with another sharp finish.

But Bristol Rovers hit back immediately, Ricky Lambert scoring his 18th goal of the season following a Stuart Campbell corner.

Gary Alexander looked to have sealed the points for The Lions when he netted on 72 minutes, but Jo Kuffour scored with a wonderful placed shot to set up a nervous finish.

Milton Keynes Dons 0 Scunthorpe United 2

Scunthorpe rediscovered their early season form to end MK Dons' run of six straight league wins.

After a frustrating first half, Roberto Di Matteo introduced former Chelsea team-mate Tore Andre Flo for his debut as MK Dons searched for a winner, but it was Scunthorpe who broke the deadlock on 77 minutes.

Ian Morris latched on to a knock down from Gary Hooper, and lashed an unstoppable shot past Willy Gueret from the edge of the area.

And Scunthorpe sealed the points six minutes later when Morris crossed for Gary Sparrow to thump home at the back post.

Stockport County 1 Peterborough United 3

Peterborough extended their unbeaten run to 15 games and moved up to fourth in the table with a win at Edgeley Park.

Stockport were architects of their own downfall , Michael Raynes putting past his own keeper in the 23rd minute to give Peterborough the lead.

Stockport equalised on 52 minutes when Anthony Pilkington fired into the top corner from just inside the box.

But Posh were back in front ten minutes later as Mackail-Smith found the net from close range from George Boyd's centre, his 15th goal of the season, before another own goal from James Tunnicliffe sealed the points for the visitors.

Oldham Athletic 1 Brighton & Hove Albion 1

Oldham dropped down to sixth as they were held by a determined Brighton at Boundary Park.

Andy Liddell gave The Latics the lead from the penalty spot on nine minutes after Andrew Whing fouled Chris Taylor.

But the dangerous Glenn Murray scored a deserved equaliser for The Seagulls in the 21st minute, finding the top corner with a sweet shot.

Adam Virgo was dismissed for a second yellow card after the break, and Brighton will be the happier side with a point that brings a run of three straight defeats to an end.

Tranmere Rovers 2 Leeds United 1

Leeds old-boy Ian Moore scored the winner as Tranmere came from behind to inflict more away day woes on Leeds at Prenton Park and knock them out of the play-off zone.

Enoch Showunmi put Leeds in front from close after 10 minutes after Tranmere failed to clear a corner.

But the lead was short-lived as Andy Taylor crossed for Antony Kay to head past David Lucas.

Shortly after half-time Moore put the hosts in front with a long-range effort, and Leeds were unable to find a way back into the game.

Huddersfield Town 2 Walsall 1

An injury-time winner from Michael Collins gave Huddersfield the three points at the Galpharm Stadium.

In a dire first half, Huddersfield took the lead when Rhys Weston's rash challenge on Collins allowed Gary Roberts to score from the spot on 23 minutes.

Walsall were much improved after the break and levelled on 48 minutes through a long-range strike from Alex Nicholls.

The visitors looked like earning a vital point, but were cruelly denied in the third minute of added time when Collins fired into the top corner from close range.

Hartlepool United 0 Yeovil Town 0

Hartlepool are still looking for a first win in six games after they were held by lowly Yeovil at Victoria Park.

Pool peppered the visitors' goal but found keeper Josh Wagenaar in inspired form.

The result leaves Yeovil still in the relegation zone, but it was a battling point that will give Russell Slade's side hope going into the vital Christmas period.

Northampton Town 1 Leyton Orient 1

It was honours even at The Sixfields Stadium as Northampton failed to capitalise on an early lead.

It took The Cobblers just 69 seconds to get their noses in front, with Liam Davis drilling home a long range effort.

Leyton Orient were struggling to create anything, but equalised out of the blue on 41 minutes, John Melligan heading home Jason Demetriou's cross.

Northampton pushed hard after the break, but too often their finishing was wayward and Stuart Gray's side were forced to settle for a point.

Colchester United 1 Hereford United 2

Hereford's long wait for an away win finally came to an end as they beat the inconsistent Farmers at the Weston Homes Community Stadium (phew).

Hereford had not found the net on the road since Stephen Guinan's consolation in a 6-1 drubbing at Bristol Rovers in August, but found themselves two up at half-time.

Guinan grabbed the first on 29 minutes, beating James Walker, (blimey, I was sure he came on at Leicester), from close range, and ten minutes later Lionel Ainsworth doubled the lead.

Colchester were poor in the final third, but gave themselves a lifeline in the 72nd minute when pacey striker Jermaine Easter fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Swindon Town 1 Carlisle United 1

Paul Thirlwell struck late on to rescue a point for Carlisle in Gregg Abbott's first game as permanent boss.

With both sides struggling for form, the first half was predictably devoid of chances.

But Swindon took the lead three minutes after the break with an enormous slice of luck, Peter Murphy putting through his own net.

Just as it looked as Swindon would hold on for the victory, Thirwell drilled in a shot from just outside the area to give the Cumbrians a share of the spoils.

Cheltenham Town 1 Crewe Alexandra 0

Drissa Diallo's 47th minute strike was enough to give Cheltenham a vital win in the battle of the basement at Whaddon Road.

Both sides had chances to break the deadlock in the first half, and keepers Scott Brown and Stuart Tomlinson had to be on form to keep the scores level.

But Cheltenham were rewarded for early pressure in the second half as Diallo smashed a shot in the top corner from Josh Payne's outswinging corner.

Cheltenham were good value for a win which leaves Crewe rooted to the bottom of the table with just nine points.

Coca-Cola Football League One

Latest match Saturday,
6th December 2008
1Leicester City 1972116653118101252341641+18
2Millwall 1981116942314141234302339+7
3Milton Keynes Dons 1960417106122091216371937+18
4Peterborough United 1962121944215121063362136+15
5Scunthorpe United 19522171161318131135352436+11
6Oldham Athletic 19631231042312131054352335+12
7Leeds United 19612211141512131027332432+9
8Stockport County 193431211531146874261731+9
9Tranmere Rovers 196131912324912937282430+4
10Walsall 19504171633413148383030270
11Southend United 195221392441522766283127-3
12Huddersfield Town 1933414164231315757273126-4
13Hartlepool United 194422217306713748293025-1
14Northampton Town 1944215102251115667262524+1
15Bristol Rovers 1942320141541619577363322+3
16Colchester United 19226101341420216310303421-4
17Carlisle United 1951318131277206310253321-8
18Leyton Orient 19234712334811568152321-8
19Swindon Town 1933416181531417487303520-5
20Brighton & Hove Albion 1924312132441014487222720-5
21Yeovil Town 192521010226515478152519-10
22Hereford United 19324981184214312132915-16
23Cheltenham Town 1942413150187264312204115-21
24Crewe Alexandra 192251218019925231421439-22