Foxes & Dons stretch out as top two, Orient stretch down into bottom four

Last updated : 29 December 2008 By Shrimpers24

Leicester City 2 Hereford United 1

Leicester remain top of League One after recording their eighth straight victory against Graham Turnerʼs Hereford.

The league leaders were fired in front by striker Steve Howard after just nine minutes when he turned home Matty Fryattʼs cross.

Leicester were made to work hard against a resilient Hereford side struggling at the wrong end of the table, but Andy King doubled their lead in the 71st minute with a long range effort that left keeper Craig Samson grasping at fresh air.

Karl Broadhurst pulled one back in the 79th minute for Hereford, but it proved too little too late.

MK Dons 2 Southend United 0

MK Dons consolidated second position in League One with a solid victory over Southend at stadium:mk.

For a full report and player markings go here:

Millwall 1 Yeovil Town 1

Millwall missed out on their ninth home win of the season after Yeovilʼs Luke Rodgers cancelled out Paul Robinsonʼs early strike.

Robinson had put the Lions ahead with his second of the season, heading home the third successive David Martin corner

But The Glovers refused to lie down and, after being denied a goal when straying offside minutes earlier, Port Vale loanee Rodgers earned the visitors a point eight minutes before the interval.

Millwallʼs Adam Bolder and The Gloversʼ Tomlin hit the bar as both teams pressed in the second half but neither could grab a decisive goal.

Cheltenham Town 3 Peterborough United 6

Peterborough strengthened their play-off push but had to see off a late Cheltenham fightback in a nine-goal thriller at Whaddon Road.

Winger George Boyd took just three minutes to open the scoring when he latched onto Aaron McLeanʼs pass and slotted home his seventh goal of the season.

Ashley Vincent levelled matters for Martin Allenʼs side from the penalty spot after he had been felled by Charlie Lee, but Lee made amends for his error on the hour mark when he gave Darren Fergusonʼs men the lead with a header from Dean Keatesʼ cross.

Craig Mackail-Smith notched his 17th goal of the campaign to wrap up the three points - but late goals from Elvis Hammond and Lloyd Owusu ensured a nervy finish before McLean and Chris Whelpdale made sure, while Barry Hayles saw red for Cheltenham.

Oldham Athletic 0 Carlisle United 0

Oldham remain in the League One play-off positions despite being held to a frustrating draw against Carlisle.

Lee Hughes had three good chances to score in the first half Oldham, but was denied by smart saves from keeper Tim Krul.

Hughes missed another good opportunity in the second half, and team-mate Mark Allott blasted way over the bar.

Carlisle could have snatched it late on, but Scott Dobie headed over and Cleveland Taylor fired over the bar.

Huddersfield Town 2 Scunthorpe United 0

Gary Roberts netted with the final kick of the game to seal the victory over promotion-chasing Scunthorpe.

The winger rifled home in the 96th minute from close range to push The Terriers closer to the top six.

Jim Goodwin had broken the stalemate in the 65th minute when he nodded home Robertsʼs pinpoint cross.

Stockport County 1 Leeds United 3

Simon Grayson earned his first victory as Leeds United manager as they came behind to beat fellow promotion-chasers Stockport.

Johnny Mullins gave The Hatters the perfect start when he rammed home from close range after just three minutes at Edgeley Park.

But Leeds were soon on level terms as Luciano Becchio poked the ball home after Jonathan Douglas had flicked on Robert Snodgrassʼ corner in the 18th minute.

Fabian Delph gave Leeds the lead for the first time in the 72nd minute from long range before Malcolm Christie climbed off the bench to smash home a volley with just four minutes remaining.

Tranmere Rovers 2 Walsall 1

Antony Kay netted his sixth goal of the season in injury time to secure a dramatic win for Tranmere at Prenton Park.

Ian Goodison had put the hosts in front three minutes before the break from a mishit shot by Chris Shuker that fell into the defenderʼs path.

But Goodison tripped Jabo Ibehre in the box after the interval and former Derby man Marco Reich equalised from the spot before Kayʼs heroics.

Colchester United 1 Leyton Orient 0

Colchester had won just two of their league games at their new Cuckoo Farm ground all season, but they were given a boost as they were gifted a goal.

Steven Gillespie powered home a penalty in the 38th minute after Tamika Mkandawire had handled inside the area.

And, after Adam Boyd had seen his penalty saved by James Walker, Sean Thornton saw red for the visitors on a miserable afternoon for Martin Lingʼs men.

Northampton Town 0 Bristol Rovers 0

Rickie Lambert produced a man-of-the-match display for Bristol Rovers but could not grab the decisive goal in a drab draw against Northampton.

The former Blackpool striker had seven strikes at goal but a desperate Northampton backline threw their body on the line to get in numerous blocks and deflections to keep the clean sheet.

The Cobblers, who have drawn five games at home this season, offered little in attack and failed to trouble Steve Phillips in the Rovers net.

Hartlepool United 1 Crewe Alexandra 4

Bottom side Crewe picked up their first away win of the season as they swept aside Hartlepool.

Summer signing John Brayford gave Alex the lead on the stroke of half time for caretaker boss Dario Gradiʼs men, with new manager Gudjon Thordarson watching from the stands.

But Hartlepool took just three minutes of the second half to equalise, with striker Joel Porter nodding home from close range.

Crewe were soon back in front when Michael Nelson put through his own net in the 56th minute before Luke Murphy and Shaun Miller wrapped up the victory.

Swindon Town 0 Brighton & Hove Albion 2

Danny Wilson's first match in charge of Swindon ended in defeat after Brighton's Nicky Forster netted twice.

Forster finished off a well-worked move in the 43rd minute to send Brighton on their way to a first win in eight.

And the former Reading man made it two from the spot after Stuart Fleetwood had been hauled down by Michael Timlin.

Coca-Cola Football League One

Latest match Sunday,
28th December 2008
1Leicester City 2392122764121121562431951+24
2Milton Keynes Dons 23804221181226121616482349+25
3Millwall 23831171052416161355332644+7
4Peterborough United 23731241154321191274453043+15
5Oldham Athletic 23651241153317151184412641+15
6Scunthorpe United 23632241562418151256423041+12
7Stockport County 2344416156321891076342437+10
8Tranmere Rovers 23813221333511161148332937+4
9Leeds United 23623231451616171139393136+8
10Huddersfield Town 23534181652414181058323435-2
11Colchester United 23336111361424239410353631-1
12Walsall 23605191834514169410333431-1
13Southend United 2362314102461527869293730-8
14Northampton Town 2355216102361520788313029+1
15Hartlepool United 2354326213178178510343829-4
16Bristol Rovers 2352423161651722689403826+2
17Carlisle United 2361422151387217412293625-7
18Yeovil Town 232631315336918599223324-11
19Brighton & Hove Albion 23245151934512155810273423-7
20Swindon Town 23336182325416195810344223-8
21Leyton Orient 232369163459135711182922-11
22Cheltenham Town 23435162112810285513264920-23
23Hereford United 23344121111105254514173617-19
24Crewe Alexandra 23326132112913264415264716-21